Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Ad-hoc swim lesson

Did I mention that MBH is taking swimming lessons? Yes, and I strongly support her.

Today, however, I took over her lesson with coach Gerald. Two for the price of one! That's a good deal.

Anyhow, coach Gerald prescribed several new drills to get better body balance with arms and legs, separately. What I really like are the 4- and 5-stroke swim that he had me practice. I'd read somewhere that it would be good to go to more strokes per breath, but what convinced me was that this would (a) allow me to better cope with OWS where others can bump into me or waves could disrupt my breathing, and (b) allow for faster swimming.

The 4-stroke swim was not too bad, but I struggled with the 5-stroke swim. Ran out of breath before the fifth stroke and had to quicken the last two strokes, which broke my rhythm.

Certainly need more practice.

No comments: