Saturday, August 23, 2008

Singapore Bay Run 2008: Personal best time

Aug 24, 2008. Today's race was a personal best time for me, one-on-one with my friend DT! 3 hours 28 min.

No, the race is NOT 42 km (26 miles), but simply a half marathon. What kind of PB is 3:28 for 21 km? Well, the one-on-one kind of PB. Allow me to start from the top.

The rain stopped early this morning. Finally, after a downpour that lasted the best of yesterday. I had decided that if the rain did not let up this morning when I woke up, that I would not show up. As it turned out, the heavy downpour cooled down temperatures and provided ideal conditions for about 70,000 participants who turned up at the Padang this morning.

The flag off started on time -- I think, but I can't be sure coz DT and I were so far back in the queue that we didn't hear the sound off for the start. It took all of 15 minutes to reach the starting line. Met and said hi to my marathon runner-photographer friend, who was busy snapping pictures of the Singapore Flyer with his water-proof Olympus ("Must be water-proof" point noted!). When I last met him at the Shape Run, he was also busy snapping pictures (not of the Singapore Flyer).

This year's route took us straight into the Sheares Bridge via Central Boulevard, rather than further down via Prince Edward. Crested the bridge at 4k. Slow easy pace (8 to 8:30), soaking up the sights of Marina Bay. Personally, I didn't appreciate the IR construction site too much. Too close to the highway.

At approximately the 9k mark, we took a leak at MacDonald's (toilet), but shortly after that, DT informed me that his right knee was hurting. Months ago, the same pain plagued DT's left knee and he had to stop running for 4 weeks. The pain got progressively worse and he had to walk. After a few attempts to jog/run, we thought it best not to put further stress on the knee and to walk.

What a glorious walk it was, especially in view of the cool morning! We chatted and talked about various stuff, ranging from army days to music, from holidays and vacations to reminiscing about Bloomington, Indiana.

Highlight #1: We came upon an elderly competitor who was wearing a Saucony singlet that says "Jesus saves!" He was part of a 30 member team from a local church running to raise funds. It so happened that three Methodist pastors were running this race to raise funds as well. DT and I both agreed that running would be a good idea to raise funds for the COSI orphans. Incidentally, the elderly runner finished ahead of us. Good for you, brother!

Highlight #2:The smell-the-roses pace was a blessing in disguise. We were able to enjoy the path to the Marina Barrage (semi finished road courtesy of SAF combat engineers), the view as we cross the barrage, as well as appreciate the architecture of the barrage station. Not sure when we would come this way again. The view of the Singapore skyline and Flyer was spectacular.

I also enjoyed the walk through the CBD, especially the road leading back to the Padang. In previous races, all I remembered were blur images. I did not notice the flowers, the towering buildings and the beautifully restored Fullerton building.









Did I mind not running? I have to admit that the thought of moving on did cross my mind, even for a second or two. DT had in fact urged me to continue on to get a respectable time. But between running for time and spending quality time with a friend, it is a no-brainer.

It was a glorious day for a walk!

PS: I discovered that there are many ways to have a good race.


View Larger Map

1 comment:

Unknown said...

good for you! :) AHM was a good run, weather wasnt hot like last yr and the new route with new sights! :)

Rachstar (sgrunnersforum)