Monday, August 18, 2008

Why do I run? A Collection

Over the months, I have come across several beautiful expressions of "Why do I run?" Here are some of my favorites.

LaVikinga:
I run at 0430 in the morning because I am self conscious of my form and my lack of speed. I wear the shoes best for my feet & running mechanics, in whatever hideous colors are left for Amazons with big feet. I run in the sultry 100% humidity & heat of the predawn hours of the deep south. I run in the least possible amount of comfortable clothing, but I wear 3 sports bras because God was generous (Finding a sports bra that secures in all different directions is darned near impossible).

I run in the cold and wind. I run in the rain. I ran when we went on safari in Africa. I've never entered a race because I am embarrassed to be so slow.
I used to run because I was trying to lose weight. Now I run to keep from losing my mind.

I run when I ache. I run when I'm sick. I run when I'm recovering from my surgeries I've had to put my sagging body back to its original form. I run on days when my body argues with my mind that it just can't do one more mile.

And there are mornings when the few other moon lit members of early morning lunatics whizz past me. I feel defeated and demoralized. I'll never be like them. Why do I bother? And then I remember my journey has been the longest. My trail has been the hardest. THIS is my marathon. I run because I have to. I run, because now I can.

SM (my good friend in Tokyo):
I run not to lose weight - I have too little of it already!
I run not to show off my form for though I am not bad in that department, I am no exhibitionist!

I run the way I run because I believe it best instils an exercise discipline to my otherwise exercise-less lifestyle (apart from the occasional golf game which I still rather enjoy) and to challenge myself to achieve a personal objective for the next 12 months.

I also run because I am inspired by your running....

PK:
My eight-year daughter asked me innocently, “Why do you run so much?” I did not give her an immediate answer as the question had led me to wrestle with my motives for a long while. Other than standard reasons of maintaining health and fitness, I can attest to the benefit of being able to use the time on long runs to pray, reflect on deeper issues, think creatively. After ruminating on her question for nearly three months, I am almost certain that I would say to my daughter that I run because I have to.

Ripley (Oct 2007):
i just run because i love running... but i know i can't run everyday cos got no time lah... but sat and sun i'll be running slightly longer distances but also, not that long... however, for certain events, e.g. if i know i've signed up for a trail run, i make sure i run trail to get a feel of it... if i know i've signed up for a back-to-back run, i make sure i do back-to-back lsd... but my effort is never hard... this is to allow me to enjoy and most importantly, to get a "feel"... that's all... this kind of training, i won't even classify as training leh... in fact, during races, my mentality is not to race but to run and enjoy the scenery... so choices of events are especially important... i'm geared to more trail, small but scenic races, rather than those big cities... although i still aim for some big cities one as they are still full of history... maratona di roma is one great example...

What is your reason for running??

No comments: