Monday, September 12, 2011

2XU MegaTri 2011

The 2XU megatri on Sept 4 was the first long distance triathlon of its kind. The long course comprised 2km swim, 102km bike and 27km run, and the middle distance course was a 1km swim, 65km bike and 18km run. The key difference from a IM 70.3 was the run - a good 6 km longer.

Coach and I agreed that this would be a good stepping stone for IMWA. My objective was to keep a constant bike speed, and to reserve energy for the run. A speed of 25 to 27 kph was the target.

This was also a good opportunity to try out the aero helmut, tri-apparel (in particular the CEP compression shorts), nutrition and hydration. I also wanted to see how the KSwiss shoes held up over 27 km.

There were dark storm clouds with lightning flashes in the distant as we set up in transition. Looking at the ominous weather, we were speculating if the swim or even race would be called off. After a 10-min delay, it was clear that the dark clouds were moving out, and everyone was just glad to start.

The swim - two loops of 1km - alongside the Changi Ferry Terminal was in sheltered waters. No strong waves to pull us off course. I managed to find a few people to draft and was just happy to ease off and catch my breathe. Upon exiting the water, I was surprised it took only 42 min. I was the first in my age group to complete the swim (incidentally, the last to complete the bike leg!).

Tried to reign it in during the first few km but it was tempting to pull off. Hold back, hold back, I kept telling myself. I had decided that I would shoot for a 27 - 28 kph target, and the first loop was closer to 30 kph. After two loops, I managed to settle down to a more steady pace, with HR in the low 140s.

The wind came before the rain, and it was hard going along certain segments of the course. With the cool weather, I didn't need as much hydration and two bottles sustained me all the way. The last few loops were harder as the wind picked up and the number of riders thinned. Happy to finish under 3:30 hrs, at average speed of 28.9 kph.

1 cereal bar, half a blok, 3 salt tablets consumed. Aero position almost all the way except for turns, drinks and time checks.

The run began well enough, with a sub-7 min per km pace. Passed many friends heading towards the start point (it was an out and back course), and we cheered each other on. The route took us past a wooded area, past the Navy terminal, park, across the CV bridge and along the broadwalk. U-turn point was at a pavilion. Nice.

On the second loop, I kept pace with DC and chatted a bit about bikes and rides, just to pass time. Pace had then slowed to 8 to 9 min. It was really good to see MBH and the boys at Changi Village. That gave me new impetus to run. Surprisingly they stayed till I turned back for the third loop :)

The last 10 km was when the sun came out, and the race became even more challenging. Tried to trip over IN - he was just breezing ahead, and he finished a good hour ahead. Average pace: 7:37

Yup, finished last in my age group, but I could always say that I finished fourth!

Half blok, 1 gel, 2 salt pills, lots of pocari sweat and water

The big difference between this race and Aviva in March was a flip flop in bike and run. 2 kph slower on the bike and 20 sec per km on the run. At least I didn't get cramps this time. It must be due to the fact that I took this event merely as training.

Happy for the good timings posted by IN, CS, YP, etc. Good to see so many friends at the race.

Results
Swim lap 1: 20.52; lap 2: 21.53
T1: 2.06
Bike lap 1: 35.17; lap2: 34.10; lap 3: 35.32; lap 4: 34.05; lap 5: 34.45; lap 6: 36.03
T2: 2.45
Run lap 1: 1:04.38; lap 2: 1:12.28; lap 3: 1:06.11
Total: 7:40:39


No comments: