Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Next stop: Ironman

In an act of faith, I have registered for Ironman Western Australia 2011. Registration was 70% capacity when I logged on one hour after opening. I guess it must be due to the fact that there are very limited IM races in Asia Pacific next year.

After conferring with coach yesterday, we established the following:

  • Recommend 6 months training for the full IM. I was eyeing IM China (if it takes off), but since I can't start training till mid Jan, it wouldn't work out with just 4 months. As coach said, it can be done within 4 months, but I'll suffer just to finish.
  • 3 months of base building, and 3 months of race-specific speedwork
  • 250km of cycling per week on average, over 4 rides. Peak of about 350km per week
  • Run distance average 40km per week
  • Aim for LD triathlon Korea in mid July 2011. Should have sufficient time to train up for IMWA
  • Importance of base building reiterated. Most people suffer on IM races because of insufficient base building

No comments: