Thursday, January 14, 2010

Valuing friendships

After traveling more than 1,000 miles over the past two days (by car, of course), it felt good to get out for a short 6 km recovery jog at North Palm Beach, South Florida. Yes, I have done further south in search of warmer weather, but not before heading north to Tallahassee, North Florida, to visit a good friend and mentor who's recovering from prostate surgery. It was good to see CF and Elaine again. He's in good spirits and optimistic, and frankly I believed he's somewhat touched that I drove 400+ miles to drop by to see him.

It had been almost 10 years since CF shared a simple strategy to get us to where we are now. Along the way, he's been nothing but a pillar of strength and support for me and some of my colleagues. I owe much of what little success I am today to CF. Having lost a previous senior colleague to cancer, and seeing another stewart passed away last year, and having friends who were diagnosed and survived cancer just made me better appreciate the relationships that we have built over the past 10 to 20 years. We have to value people above all else.

It is this thought that made the prolonged separation from the family a little more bearable, though no less painful. Being inducted as a fellow candidate at a prestigious institute is an important professional milestone, but it's the friendships that we invest in that transcends the honor.

No comments: