Sunday, October 25, 2009

TNF: The Day After

Amazing what a good night's sleep can do. Here I am, one day after the most grueling race and feeling rather amazed that the only sore muscle is my inner right thigh. A stark reminder of my nemesis at TNF.

Here are some snippets of the race that I didn't have the energy to pen down yesterday:

Mohan: On track to complete 24 marathons this year, and just a week ago, he completed the Beijing marathon. That's an average of 1 per fortnight. Should reach his target of 100 marathons next year. How do one train for 24 marathons in one year? I didn't get to ask Mohan that, but will do so the next time I see him.

FeetofFury: Nice to meet him at the BTVC, and rather surprised that he wasn't racing. He explained that he is targeting the marathon in Korea in a couple of weeks' time. He was so close to qualifying for Boston last year, and I wish him all the best in this year's attempt!

Catwoman: An icon in our local racing scene, she was almost unrecognizable with a toned-down costume. The bright blue head gear made her stand out. She had a walking stick to surmount BT hill. What a good idea. Also learnt that Spiderman had an injury and would be out of action for some time. No wonder we didn't see him for some time. But Catwoman was still flying the flag high - even though she just completed Borneo two weeks ago.

WD: You, my friend, was infamous. We heard your partner calling out your name as we gazed in amazement at the barren hill (you know which hill!), and we thought for a moment that you were waiting for her. Apparently not. Another source told me today that your partner was calling out your name as she approached the finish line. Perhaps you heard her then. She was also saying things like "this is a crazy race".

Runner on Hill 256: I was surprised he was running without hydration. And it was about noon, the hottest part of the day. He looked poached. Since my curiosity got the better of me, I asked, and he told me that his hydration was with his partner, who was way ahead. I was quite flabbergasted. I offered him the last swig of water in my bottle, which wasn't much, but that was the best I could do in that dire situation. Hope he got well hydrated at the Asrama waterpoint.

Runner in TNF100 black tee: Noticed him while agonizing through the toture-maze that was known as Hill 256. Dressed in The North Face 100 black event cotton tee, rather pale and slight of build, I would not have made him for a runner. Overtook him, but he caught up at the Asrama waterpoint. Then another runner gave him a pep-talk "don't walk or you won't make the checkpoint", and immediately he took off like an energizer rabbit. We were very impressed, to say the least. Unfortunately, we caught up with him at the BTVC checkpoint where he was awaiting extraction.

Runner with spray: One of the 100km solo runners passed us along Belukar track and seeing me limping, he offered me his spray. Take it, he said, I don't need it. Clearly he didn't need it. We saw him returning on his first lap while we were along RRR, and there he was, overtaking us on his second lap! Incredible! I politely declined and thanked him. I didn't take a good look at his tag, but my guess is he is the first runner up (Yeo Kim Hong).

One of many casualties: Just before BTVC checkpoint on the return leg, we found a runner sitting by the side. PK knew him - he was a regular in the armed forces. We'd seen him in the progressive runs, and he was a strong runner. What happened? Cramps! Another victim of the hot foul weather that succumbed to the C monster. We passed him again on the way out of the checkpoint, when he was heading for an early ride back.

Companion runners from BTVC: There was a kind of camaraderie among the stragglers, of whom I was a chief culprit. A gentleman, who told me, when we met along Gangsa track, that his mind told him to run, but his legs wouldn't cooperate and that he had a blister on his foot. He contemplated catching the shuttle after meeting up with his partner at the RR water station, but several minutes later, we were surprised when he ran past us. We cheered him on! Another team - a gentleman and lady (the gentleman was a real gentleman coz he was carrying more than his share of hydration for his partner) - who also passed us along Rifle Range Road. We also cheered them on. Clearly they were making a last burst of fire, just as we did from the BTVC. When we passed them (not intentional, mind you) 1 or 2 km before the finishing line, we knew that their last burst of fire, like mine, was inadequate. But they finished the race! That was our mutual shared objective, which we achieved.

Volunteers at waterpoints: Mostly youngsters who were helping out - a big thank you in case I didn't have the energy, or was too dazed to say that yesterday. I wasn't my usual cheerful self after hours out in the hot sun. But the one look that I managed to process - a look that vacillated between "crazy" and "pity". Yes, we were a little crazy back there.

To appreciate how challenging the route and slopes are, see photos.
Some interesting preliminary results:
Winner of 100 km solo event: Yun Yan Qiao, who finished two hours ahead of the runner up.
100 km solo: 21 finishers (out of 32)
100 km duo open: 126 teams (out of appr 180 teams)
100 km women: 14 teams
50 km duo: 277 teams
50 km women: 40 teams

Congratulations to friends in The Middle Aged, Hunk and Babe, Gray Matter and other co-sufferers!

Just for the record, team fanaticsrus finished in 125th position in the 100km duo open category with a time of 9:30.

Will be back next year to collect the finisher medal.

2 comments:

Tekko said...

So sorry that we couldn't wait for you guys to reach our support table. Anyway, u did it and that's what that count and I salute you!

BFG said...

Hi Tekko
No worries. I believe we passed you and the volunteers for the support table at Belukar, but we were in the shade, hiding from the merciless sun! Thanks for your tremendous support!