Saturday, June 12, 2010

New Directions

My checklist for this year looks decent so far. PB for a 42, completed the 70.3 and 84 ultra. Now the next check box is a full IM next year. To go that distance for me would simply be one word - focus.

Coach confirmed my intuition yesterday. Ideally, 8 months to train for the IM. He put it very nicely - it would be easier for him to plan my training if I didn't get distracted with various other events. The Mersing ride is ok - two back-to-back long rides. The SBR/AHM is fine - just a long training run. But no main event until the Asia Pacific 70.3 in December. That means foregoing Desaru, TNF and other events.

Next year, we plan on two IMs - IMWA (Dec), with Desaru in October as a lead-up, and another mid year. Possibilities are Korea or Roth, Germany. I am more inclined towards Korea even though it is not a dot-M event for a simple reason that it has a 17-hour cutoff. Cheaper to boot - only USD170. Roth has a 15-hour cutoff.  Plan to use the 2011 aviva as a lead up to mid year.

A new direction going forward would be speedwork to improve my run. True, all the longer distances have slowed me down considerably (not that I mind), but to do well in the run leg, I have to get some speed. No way to buy speed except to train. Urrgghh! The dreaded intervals again. So the plan is to do 5km races with a target time in mind. Strangely enough, I have never taken part in a 5 km race.

I am also toying with the idea of taking a sabbatical from racing in 2012.

No comments: