Wednesday, July 2, 2008

imaRunner: Night Hawk

Night Hawk (A run a day will keep the hospital away!) posted these on SGRunners forum on June 19 - 28:

Hi, I am very new to running after a long lay-off since my army days. I did my 1st marathon in 1985 (for the sake of boosting to my children) and thought that will never the crazy thing again ( did my 2nd in 2005 and hope to do at least one every year). Then i started running 4 yrs ago to reduce weight and bring down blood pressure. It works and I feel great to loose 14kg and 5 inches off my waist line after 3 years! Running makes me feel refresh and boost my self confidence. To motivate myself (as I run alone), I try to register for most of our local races. It's interesting to see so many of my seniors running at such incredible speed. They are my motivation to improve on my own timings year after year.

My salute to those who are still running in their 50s and 60s (with timing that put us to shame!). If people in other countries are running into their 90s, I believe we can do it too. We all run for different reasons and we are all endowed without different capabilities. But we are all champions in our own way.

...

I am not a fast runner and I don't think I have the genes to make it to the podium but I certainly want to know how fast and far I can go; that becomes my personal motivation to push harder.

Listing down our fellowmen's achievement set the pace for us to emulate. It inspire us to greater heights and make us realise there is more in ourselves than we ever know if we dare to try (I was surprised that I can run faster now than when I am in my 20s. We surely can do better if we set our mind on it) . Most importantly, it also serves as a recongnition of their commitment. Our society need more 'pad on the back' and be less stingy with our praise. Let us rejoice in the achievement of our fellowmen.

...

I am 43yrs young. I am a late starter too. Lay-off too long already.....after all the marriage, house n babies stuff, its time to build our bodies and get ready for our sun set years (don't want to spent it in hospital with the tubes all over my body .

The best is for me to admire and for inspiration, knowing that I don't have the physic to be up there...like you I just try to better my PB at every event. Sometimes I succeed in pushing myself, sometimes I fail (e.g. Sundown marathon- completed but beatten by the slopes).

Yes, this is a long journey...a journey to find out what is really in us and a time to be like a child again; to be inqusitive enough to probe the unknown.

...

Share with you the meaningful quote from DR. GEORGE SHEEHAN :

"No matter how old I get, the race remains one of life's most rewarding experiences. My times become slower and slower, but the experience of the race is unchanged: each race a drama, each race a challenge, each race stretching me in one way or another, and each race telling me more about myself and others."




BFG note: I couldn't agree with you guys more, about just trying to do our best given our "youth" (age is all relative, right?) and simply enjoying the journey. Like many of you, I had my downs (such as the Sundown!) and ups (few of these but enough to keep me going and rejoicing!).

It is a joy to simply run to celebrate life itself.


imaRunner is a series about ordinary people and their not-so-ordinary running achievements.

No comments: